Marketing hiring at PostHog
What we are looking for in Marketing hires
Beyond the specific skills listed in the job description, we always generally look for:
- Communication skills
- Do they have writing errors in their cover letter? What does their online presence look like?
- Moreso than other companies, all of our communication is written and public for the world to see. Good written communication is key.
Marketing hiring process
1. Culture interview
- PostHog - mission, vision, team, way of working etc. If it was cold outreach, we provide a little more context up front first.
- Candidate background and mindset.
- Talk about the hiring process and check if the candidate has seen our compensation calculator so we know we're roughly aligned.
- Answer any questions they have.
We are looking for proactivity, directness, good communication skills, an awareness of the impact of the candidate's work, and evidence of iteration or a growth mindset.
We will at this stage also ask for work samples or portfolios, to get a better feeling for the work a candidate has done in the past.
2. Technical interview and portfolio review
The technical interview round usually lasts 45-60 minutes and usually involves two of our team members. They will ask questions around background and previous experience, as well as some scenario-based questions. At the end, they will leave time to answer any open questions.
3. Marketing SuperDay
The final stage of our interview process is the PostHog SuperDay. This is a paid full day of work with us, which we can flexibly arrange around your schedule.
We will share the task with you at the start of the day. The task is representative of the work someone in this role at PostHog is doing, and it is always the same for each candidate, so we can make clear comparisons.
We design our tasks to be too much work for one person to complete in a day, in order to get a sense of your ability to prioritize.
This gives you the chance to learn how we work, and for us to see your quality and speed of work, as well as the way you communicate. It is a very demanding day of work, but we want you to succeed!
A Marketing SuperDay usually looks like this (there is a degree of flexibility due to time zone differences):
- Kick-off session
- Meet the founders - Tim and James
- Time to focus on the task, we can provide support via your personal Slack channel
- Informal session with a few team members
- On days where we have company wide meetings, we will invite you along to that and give you a chance to introduce yourself. On days without company-wide meetings, we will arrange for you to meet a few members of our team for a casual lunch/coffee break
Overall, you should spend at least 80% of your time and energy on the task and less than 20% on meeting people, as we will base our decision on your output of the day. However, we encourage everyone to use the Slack channel as much as needed for any questions or problems.
You can expect to hear back from us within 2 working days of your SuperDay. We will also make the payment for your SuperDay as soon as possible.
If we decide to make you an offer, we will arrange a call to discuss feedback and next steps, followed by an offer in writing.
In the case where we don’t make an offer, we will give you as much constructive feedback as possible.