Exec hiring at PostHog
We deliberately keep our structure flat and we don’t believe in having a lot of fancy titles early on. However, as we grow, we will hire people into more Executive-type positions.
With our exec hiring, moreso than normal, we are aiming for speed, and as always, quality. If a candidate is amazing but doesn't fit with a specific role need we have right now, we aim to treat the hiring process with the same urgency as if the website has gone down!
Executive hiring process
Before we kick-off the hiring process for an Executive role, we make sure to have everything we need for the role prepared:
- James or Tim to write job description, People team to review
- Post role - share in our networks
- Ask investors for referrals
- Agree on salary benchmark and equity level
- Finalise interview process
- The People team will build a market map and share it with the leadership team, outreach ideally coming from the founders
In order to ensure speed, we are aiming to finish the process within 5 working days (assuming the candidate has availability).
In order to achieve this, the interview process roughly follows this structure:
Day 1: Candidate meets Eltje - 30-45 minutes
- Important information: time frame, salary expectations (base and Equity), visa, other open processes
- Answer open Qs
Day 2: Candidate meets James and/or Tim - 45-60 minutes
- History, mission, vision
- Role responsibilities
- Role outlook (team, development etc)
Day 3: Technical Interview with James/Tim + respective team - 60 minutes
- Background and experience
- Technical Deep-dive
- Scenario-based questions
Day 3: Meet rest of the Leadership team - Marcus and Charles - 30-45 minutes
- Strategy and long term outlook
- Culture fit
Day 4: SuperDay (optional) or meet the team (standup or informal lunch)
Day 4: Wrap up call with James and/or Tim - 30 minutes
- Answer any open questions, potentially talk about offer details already
- Eltje to follow up via Email
Day 5: Offer out
- Eltje to send official offer and comp sheet with James/Tim/Charles in CC
- James/Tim/Charles to drop a quick message how excited they are
Depending on the role, we might also schedule a call with one of our investors.
We take exceptional people when they come along - and we really mean that! Don’t see a specific role listed? That doesn't mean we won't have a spot for you.
In cases where a candidate reaches out without us having a role posted, we follow the same process as above, and work through all open tasks we would usually prepare for on day 1 and 2.