Now that PostHog has found product market fit, we hold regular growth sessions where we plan work to accelerate our growth and drive revenue. These sessions are only worth running after you've found product market fit because until then you need to focus on building a solution users feel they really need. Once you've found product market fit, growth sessions can help you optimize.
We've established a successful pattern for running these meetings every four weeks and actions we've taken from them have led to some significant increases in monthly revenue growth.
We find it's important to bring a mixture of technical people, and those with wide context of what the business is working on. Regular attendees include...
- Emanuele (Growth Engineer)
- Tim (Co-founder / CTO)
- James (Co-founder / CEO)
- Charles (Marketing)
Running a growth session
Before the meeting
- Before the meeting, everyone creates a list of hypotheses. These can be problems which limit growth, or opportunities to accelerate. They should all be related to growth engineering (e.g. not simple bug fixes), and they should be focused on improving our long term monthly growth rate.
* "New, more expensive pricing has hurt signups"* "We're not solving bugs quickly and this is hurting word of mouth growth"* "We are losing B2C customers to open source"* "We should charge for products separately so we can upsell on features rather than volume. This would let us charge sooner than our current 1m events/month limit, and would let us keep prices low for people that don't use the full breadth of the platform"
During the meeting
When the meeting starts, allocate 10 minutes for people to read through everything and to add any additional hypotheses.
After reading, watch session recordings of users going through key flows of the product. Allocate 20 minutes for this. This may generate some further hypotheses. For example, users converting to paying customers, users activating, users inviting their colleagues.
During the meeting, you should work through each hypothesis to determine if it is correct and decide how to respond. Answer each hypothesis using available data and write up any actions, such as experiments you want to run, with clearly allocated owners.
After the meeting
- Four weeks later, re-run the entire meeting. You may end up carrying some hypotheses from session to session if they're blocked or lower priority.
Growth session template
## Agenda* 10 mins to read through / add or edit hypotheses* 20 mins to review session recordings* 4 hours to work through hypotheses and to create actions## HypothesisWhy aren't we growing faster?*## Actions*
- Growth review recurring doc (Internal only)