This section of the Handbook covers customers who are interested in our self-hosted Scale or Enterprise plans specifically. We also have detailed guidance on how to manage sales day-to-day under Sales Operations and CRM.
We currently follow a 100% inbound sales model - our approach to product-led growth means that we do not do outbound sales or cold outreach.
Our primary commercial focus is on customer success, not pushing sales through. We work with a smaller number of leads, but we know that the leads we receive are already pre-qualified and genuinely interested in potentially using PostHog.
Target customer for self-hosting
We believe that Scale has the greatest value for the following type of PostHog customer:
- Technical - engineers or technical product managers
- Mid- to high-volume - likely 1m+ monthly events
- Strong desire to self-host - devtools, privacy needs, or brand needs
In addition, customers looking at the Enterprise plan will:
- Be high-volume - at a minimum over 10m monthly events
- Want to login via their enterprise SSO for compliance reasons
- Need a strong project permissions model
- Require enterprise-level support in the deployment and running of PostHog
- No sales-y talk - we are direct, open and honest with customers. We share as much as possible publicly, rather than hiding it behind a mandatory demo call. We are honest when we don't know the answer, or if we're not sure that PostHog is the right solution for a customer.
- Speed - we are frighteningly responsive. If a customer is in a rush, we do our best to work at their pace. We are clear about expectations, and do not promise what we cannot deliver to close a deal.
- Engineers helping engineers - there is nothing more frustrating than talking to a salesperson who can't give you all the answers. We keep 'let me find out from the team' to an absolute minimum.