Beyond pay and equity, we offer several additional benefits to our team.
With everyone being distributed across the world, we do our best to provide the same benefits to everyone, but they might vary slightly by country depending on the services that are available and local regulations.
If you have any ideas for how we can improve our benefits offering, then please let us know!
Pension and 401k contributions
We are currently in the process of setting up a 401k for our US team members, and are aiming to roll this out in Q3 2021.
In the UK, we use Royal London as our pension provider. Team members contribute 5% and PostHog contributes 4%, but you can opt out if you like. You can also transfer out of the plan as frequently as you like, in case you would rather manage your own private pension.
Deel, our international payroll provider, is currently building a pension product for contractors as well, due for release in Q2 2021. We will aim to provide the same percentages as in the UK.
Private health insurance
We currently provide private health insurance in the US and UK.
In the US, our medical insurance is provided via UnitedHealthcare and managed via our payroll provider Gusto. The plan includes medical, dental and vision insurance.
PostHog pays 75% of the premium of the platinum plan, and you pay the other 25%. The same conditions apply to added dependents. UnitedHealthcare also offers cheaper Gold and Silver plans at lower cost, which you can choose if you'd like to contribute less. The exact costs depend on factors like age - the People team can create a quote in Gusto.
In the UK, we use Bupa for private healthcare (£100 excess per policy year) and Medicash as our cash plan for dental and vision. Children are included for free. Both of these are taxable benefits which will affect your Personal Allowance each tax year, and you can opt out at any time with 1 month notice.
Mental health support
We know that the world can feel a bit heavy from time to time and we want to make sure everyone gets support, if they need it.
We launched Spill in March 2021 to give everyone in the team access to comprehensive mental health support. Spill offers access to video therapy sessions with qualified therapists (one-off or a course), together with exercises and helpful reading materials, all integrated into Slack. They also offer a one-off ask-a-therapist feature if you don't want to commit to an entire session.
Spill is 100% free and confidential - they do not share any personal information with PostHog about who is using the service etc. The only exception is if they believe that there is a threat to a person's safety or the safety of others.
Unlimited time off
We also offer generous parental leave for new parents.
Learning and development
Equipment and co-working
As we are fully remote, we provide all equipment you need to have an ergonomic setup at home to be as productive as possible. We provide all team members with a company card for this purpose.
If you are in the US, we have a WeWork discount via Brex. Please message Eltje or Charles to get a code.
Ideally, we would like to meet up in person at twice a year. The team was able to meet up in Italy in September 2020, and we are heading to Portugal in August 2021.
For any work-related travel, we use Project Wren for carbon offsetting.
Support open-source projects
The PostHog platform wouldn't be possible without open-source software. We are standing on the shoulders of giants. As such, we feel it's important to support the software we benefit from through giving each team member a $100/month budget to provide support to open-source projects.
For more information see open-source contributions.
As a global, all-remote team, we don't get many regular opportunities to socialize with each other outside of our offsites.
We encourage team members to try and meet up with each other when practical, and provide everyone with an $250 monthly budget to cover the cost of travel and meals. Beyond staying within the spending limit, please just spend the money in the best interests of the company. Any unused budget does not roll over each month.
We find that team members use this to visit each other when they live in geographically similar locations (e.g. a train journey or short flight away) or to go out for dinner when they happen to be passing through the same city. However there are no specific constraints on this. Feel free to post any upcoming travel plans in the #whereintheworld channel in Slack and see who is available to meet up!
We also have biweekly coffee catch-ups as a team, and we use the Donut Slack app to pair you up with random colleague on Slack. Simply join the #virtual-coffee channel on Slack and be paired up with someone on the team to meet for a virtual coffee/tea etc.