As we believe in product-led growth, paid ads are not at the heart of our marketing strategy in the long term. Instead, we see them as an important way to kick start and then amplify the work we are doing in other areas of marketing and product.
We work with an agency, Hey Digital to manage paid ads. Specifically, they help us with:
- Paid ad tactics and monthly media plan
- Creating paid ad assets for each channel
- Manage paid channels on our behalf
We communicate with them via a shared internal Slack channel, and have 2 checkin calls with them each month. We have a very light approvals process for creative:
- Hey Digital team share asset(s) for feedback in Slack
- PostHog team approve - Charles/Joe for copy, Cory for visuals
- If approval is not given within 48 hours, Hey Digital will process regardless
Specific details of our media plan are shared internally only, as they contain commmercially sensitive information that could be beneficial to our competitors.
These will evolve over time:
- Show, don't tell - share genuinely interesting content and let the user discover the product themselves. If you wouldn't click on the link, why do you think our users would?
- Better to be opinionated and a bit divisive than unmemorable.
- No bullshit - double down on our open/transparent product and culture.
- Definitely no unfounded technical claims or feature promises.
- Don't be afraid to use humor, coding jokes etc.
Bear in mind a lot of our users will use ad-blocking of some kind - this is why our other channels such as developer relations are also important.
Hey Digital create our ad assets for most of our main channels. These guidelines may be useful to you however if you are doing one-off assets for things like paid newsletter sponsorships or one off campaigns on more niche paid channels.
- Always follow our messaging framework to ensure consistency across channels as a general guide.
- For specific messaging to use in copy, use our value propositions as a starting point - you do not have to copy them verbatim.
- We have a handy set of assets that you can use. Please make sure you follow these so our brand and design language remain consistent across all our various platforms.
We currently run ads on:
- Google Ads - awareness, conversion
- Twitter - awareness
- Bing media network (inc. DuckDuckGo) - awareness, conversion
- LinkedIn - awareness
- Reddit - awareness
Generally we only use high purchase intent channels like Google and Bing for conversion. We find that other channels are much more effective for general awareness.
We may consider other paid platforms such as Facebook and Stack Overflow in the future as we learn more, though they are not currently a priority. Charles, Joe and James H generally have admin access to these channels.
We track conversion in the PostHog app, as using 3rd party trackers like Google Tag Manager is against our brand and values. Charles currently keeps Google Ads updated by manually uploading conversion data - in the future, we will automate this process.