Where is this feature available?
In simple terms, the Toolbar is like 'Inspect Element' in a dev tool, but for user behavior.
When enabled, the Toolbar appears as an overlay (not visible to your users) and you will be able to seamlessly interact with the elements on your page to create Actions, get information about the most frequently triggered events, visualize statistics via a heatmap, and more.
For an in-depth tutorial on how to visualize user behavior, check out our Toolbar tutorial
How to activate the Toolbar
- Go to 'Project Settings' in the left-hand menu
- Scroll down until you see the option to 'Enable PostHog Toolbar'
- Once enabled, the Toolbar logo will appear as an overlay, visible only to you (not your users)
- Click on the Toolbar to authenticate it
- Hover over the Toolbar to access the various features
- Inspect. With the PostHog Toolbar, you are able to get the
idof an element much faster and without any extra noise. Click the element to inspect and you'll have access to everything you need to know about that element.
- Heatmap. Easily see the ranking of which parts of the page your users are interacting with the most.
- Actions. Inspect an element, see how often it has triggered an event, and immediately create an Action with that data. With the Toolbar, everything you need to tailor your analytics is right in front of you: your website, the user data, and the functionality to create an Action.
- Feature flags. See which feature flags are turned on for a particular page.