Our primary goal is to build and retain our world-class team. We will accomplish this by making PostHog the most transparent company in the world, and the best place for people to work. Once on board, our goal is to enable our team to:
- Maximize their impact and performance
- Grow personally and professionally
- Have a strong sense of purpose and belonging
Objectives & key results
- Automate more stuff to make work easier and do nice things for the team that enhances their social experience at PostHog.
- Key Results:
- Stick to our budget and ensure cash burn stays within 5% of forecast (Fraser)
- Automate our sales tax process to stay compliant everywhere we need to (Fraser)
- All offsite logistics, itinerary, and merch are complete (Kendal)
- Hire a Content Marketer, Support Engineer, Growth Engineer and build a strong pipeline for 6x Product Engineers to hire by the end of Q2 (Coua)
- Prepare all non-technical aspects of SOC 2 Type II and HIPAA (Fraser)
- Get direct 1-1 feedback from every person on the team about nice social things we can do (Kendal)
- Make sure we have a good plan to deal with any s174 tax implications (Fraser)
- We want to make sure the FinanceOps parts are running smoothly and give us reliable figures ahead of time to ensure we hit our budget
- In the lead up to the offsite in Q2 we want to harness the really positive energy at PostHog and continue the great social interactions that have been happening
Our people team works across talent, people, operations, and culture. This is what we care about:
- Setting a very high bar for bringing people on board. We are always looking for the best people in their field, or people on their way to becoming exceptional at their jobs. This is so important to us, it's enshrined in our values.
- Supporting our team throughout the entire employee lifecycle - from making an offer, to onboarding and progression, time off, and eventually parting ways.
- We create light-touch initiatives, systems, and processes that allow PostHog to act fast and scale iteratively
- Building a diverse and inclusive culture with a strong sense of belonging is at the heart of everything we do.
This is the list of who owns what on the team:
|UK & US Payroll
|UK Benefits & Pension
|US Benefits & 401k
|Onboarding & Contracts
|Grievance & Disciplinary Process
|Monthly Team 1-1s
|Accounting - US
|Accounting - UK
|IP & Confidentiality
|Privacy & Compliance
Every PostHog team member, as well as current, future and past candidates.
On a monthly basis, Charles does 1-1s with:
- All managers
- All new joiners for their first 3 months
For everyone else, Charles is happy to chat any time about literally anything you like!
These conversations are confidential by default - Charles doesn’t share their content with anyone else unless explicitly asked to.
- #team-people-and-ops - internally public, default for ops & people discussions
- #private-people-ops - internally confidential, for minority of issues, e.g. salaries, candidate offers
Here is a summary of some of the tools we've found most effective for getting the job done. You can read more about why we chose them here. Fraser and/or Charles are top level admins for all of these, should you need access.
People Ops, Recruiting, and Payroll
- Ashby - our ATS for managing all recruitment (you can find their full documentation here.
- Gusto - platform for managing all permanent US employees, including contracts, healthcare and payroll.
- Deel - platform for managing all team members outside the US and UK (using their EOR service in certain countries).
- UK contracts are currently done manually in Google Drive, with payroll also being run manually - our accountants load up payments in Revolut for us to approve every month. All templates are stored in the Legal Docs [CONFIDENTIAL] shared Google Drive, in the Team folder.
- US contracts are also done manually in Google Drive.
- To avoid emailing PDFs back and forth forever, we use PandaDoc.
- PTO by Deel - Slack app for booking all types of time off.
- Deel - used to store all team personal details, documents, and pay. We are in the process of migrating this to Deel HR.
Finance and Banking
Details can be found in
company-internal repo here
- LTSE Equity is where we manage our cap table. Orrick manage this on our behalf.
- We use Embroker for all of our insurance coverage, including D&O, Cyber Liability, and Travel.
- We track everything in GitHub from maintaining this handbook to sprint planning. You can find the People & Ops project board here.