Developer Relations hiring at PostHog
Developer Relations are relatively new at PostHog. However, the team will be growing as the company grows and as we increase our engagement with developer communities.
Currently, we are hiring for the following Engineering roles:
What we are looking for in DevRel hires
Beyond the specific skills listed in the job description, we generally look for:
- DevRel at PostHog is undertaken with an ethos of empathy and collaboration. Any DevRel hire must clearly demonstrate this.
- Has built something from scratch, ideally with minimal outside help
- You may have been the founder of a startup, or built an impressive side project. You may have also worked on a project at work where you were the only developer.
- Communication skills
- Are there any writing errors in their cover letter? What does their online presence look like?
- More so than other companies, all of our communication is written and public for the world to see. Good written communication is key.
- Community focus
- Our DevRel team works very closely with our customers - they do community support, demos, and help with installation and integration. All potential hires need to be driven by delivering the best possible experience for their customers.
DevRel hiring process
1. Culture interview
- PostHog - mission, vision, team, way of working etc. If it was cold outreach, we provide a little more context up front.
- Candidate background and mindset.
- Talk about the hiring process and check if the candidate has seen our compensation calculator so we know we're roughly aligned.
- Answer any open questions.
We are looking for proactivity, directness, good communication skills, an awareness of the impact of the candidate's work, and evidence of iteration or a growth mindset.
2. Technical Interview
Most developer relations roles will go into detail about the candidates experience and thoughts on:
- API standards
- API usage best practices
- SDKs and libraries
- Video content
- Data analysis and manipulation
- General programming skills
The final stage of our interview process is the PostHog SuperDay. This is a paid full day of work with us, which we can flexibly arrange around your schedule.
We will share the task with you at the start of the day. The task is representative of the work someone in this role at PostHog is doing, and it is always the same for each candidate, so we can make clear comparisons.Day
This gives you the chance to learn how we work, and for us to see your quality and speed of work, as well as the way you communicate. It is a very demanding day of work, but we all want you to succeed!
An DevRel SuperDay usually looks like this (there is a degree of flexibility due to time zone differences):
- Kick-off and ideation session where we'll define the specific deliverables for the Super Day. These will most likely include:
- GitHub repo with code and README (we'll create and setup a private repo)
- Written or video tutorial
- Time to focus on the task, we can provide support via your personal Slack channel
- On days where we have company-wide meetings, we will invite you along to that and give you a chance to introduce yourself. On days without company wide meetings, we will arrange for you to meet a few members of our team for a casual lunch/coffee break
- Depending on the time zone, we might arrange a wrap up session at the end of the day
You can expect to hear back from us within two working days of your SuperDay. We will also make the payment for your SuperDay as soon as possible.
If we decide to make you an offer, we will most likely arrange a call to discuss feedback and next steps.
If we don't make an offer, we will give you as much constructive feedback as possible.