PostHog provides open source product analytics. We are an open source alternative to Mixpanel / Amplitude or Heap.
The key difference is that you can self-host the platform, and it's open source.
- That makes us a very good fit for B2C applications (since we don't charge based on volume).
- We are a better fit for enterprise users since you don't need to go through information security / vendor risk management to get into production with our community version.
We track user behavior across your website and applications.
- We provide event capture for front and back end events.
- We track this all at an identifiable user level (if you choose to identify your users).
PostHog also provides a full product analytics UX. That means:
PostHog is designed for any web or mobile based website or application.
- We have front end event capture using a snippet that goes into your
For any other events, we have:
Yes. We support any kind of application.
We have thousands of users including at several very large enterprises.
We are currently working on creating some case studies.
If you would like to be featured, please email [email protected]
Yes, but we would say that!
Whilst there is already room for improvement, the software works well and we use it ourselves every day.
No. If you want to just try it out - you can go with the hosted version.
If you are at a much higher volume company and need help managing scalability and database sizing, we can offer paid help here.
There are three options:
- Try the hosted version. Free.
- Self deploy. Free.
- Managed deployment - we will help set it up in your environment. We charge for this.
The software is available from source, on Heroku, as a Docker image or in Kubernetes, which should cover many use cases.
Want to set it up differently? Raise an issue in the repo.
Yes. We've written out information on scaling PostHog.
Yes. We can help manage your deployment in your cloud for you. That means:
- All the info security and privacy advantages of self
- Full underlying data access
- We can offer SLAs around uptime, and can help out your engineering team so there's no maintenance workload
Email [email protected] to talk to us about this.
Yes. You can have full access to PostHog's code, so it's fully flexible how you run the software.
If you work at a software company, an understanding of user behavior is critical to driving growth. That's what we can help you with.
The cool thing about PostHog is that you can go live into production without having to send all your user data to a SaaS company.
Check them out for yourself!
PostHog is the only open source product analytics tool. There are plenty of SaaS options (Mixpanel/Amplitude/Heap), but all of them require you sending your data to 3rd parties, and they all charge based on volume. We have written out a features comparison.
There are multiple open source analytics offerings - Metabase, Matomo, etc. PostHog is the only open source software that gives you (i) full event capture (ii) full identifiable user histories (iii) full product analytics UX.
Todo: We will put together content to walk you through the difference with the rest of the open source analytics stack that is available :)