Make PostHog a hub for product engineers to learn and collaborate
Q4 2023 Goals
- Get twice as good at everything we’re already doing.
- Win half of the W24 batch and double the size of the startups program (Joe)
- Double the number of newsletter subs again while maintaining 45% open rate (Ian)
- Every time you search ‘alternative to X’, PostHog appears high up in Google Search (Andy)
- Deepen our evergreen content for surveys and A/B testing (Lior)
- Ship new high end merch that people post about online (Lottie)
- Do billboards so distinctive that people post them online (Lottie)
- Do a cool influencer campaign with Theo (Ian)
Don’t get worse at any of these things
- Paid ads (Charles)
- Docs, Tutorials, and Hub (Andy, Ian, Lior)
- Attribution (Charles)
- Twitter (company account only - we are dropping James' Twitter in Q4)
- We have built enough confidence to know that the core things we are doing are working. It feels like the right time to push the accelerator.
- Having (quite reasonably) not spent as much time focusing on SEO this year, it is worth doing a temporary ‘commercial’ push in Q4, especially now that multiple products outside of analytics have reached maturity. We want to stay proactive in hitting our revenue goals - if we fall behind, we may feel pressure to take poor long-term decisions.
- At the same time, we want to continue to de-risk our reliance on a small number of SEO articles (see recent algo changes) by diversifying across multiple channels. Startups, newsletter and merch are important parts of this.
- This means treating the content hub as business as usual in terms of posting weekly, but not pushing ideas to make it 10/10 in Q4.
- Spending more time on SEO means dropping something else - Andy and Charles suggest that this should be James' Twitter.
Output metrics we care about
- New org signups
- Organic SEO users
- Newsletter signups
- Going deep on YouTube
- Solving support