- Set up your dev environment and configure with your IDE
- Get PostHog running locally on Postgres: http://localhost:8000. You'll need postgres, redis, celery, and django running.
- Successfully run PostHog tests:
bin/tests posthog(which omits ClickHouse tests)
- Create your first PR and have it be approved. If you work for PostHog someone (Tim or small team lead) will suggest the first assignment.
If you work for PostHog and use a personal GitHub account, read how to route emails from the posthog organisation to your posthog email
Suggested learning roadmap
- Setup your local dev environment
- Ask your PostHog Buddy for a product walk-thru. It's important to get to know the product you are building. I recommend doing this before you become deeply involved in it's internal design. This is a great time to view our product through the eyes of our users.
- Review PostHog Project structure
- Learn React, Redux, and Kea - If you're experienced with frontend frameworks I suggest going directly to Kea.
- Take a brief overview of Python.
- Complete Django Tutorial 1-5 of 7 parts, skip 6+. If you're interested in learning more about Django, pick a copy of Django book. The company will happily pay for this since they believe in training us to do our jobs with excellent. Great place to work, right?